Monday, March 18, 2013

These are not the droids you're looking for... (spoiler alerts!)

We have begun educating the boys in the way of Star Wars. Now Zachary pretty much thought he knew everything from playing Angry Birds Star Wars and playing with his friends at school - but it was so exciting watching the films with him (and Leo too!). Leigh watched Star Wars : A New Hope with them on Saturday while I was rehearsing, and we all watched The Empire Strikes Back on Sunday (the weather was foul at the weekend - we had planned to go out, but failing that just watched films!).

It was great for me too as I haven't watched the films since an all-night marathon when I was at uni (which I think was pretty much compulsory!) and now having watched the 3 prequels as well, it was good to go back to the originals. I'd also quite like to watch the original originals side by side with our remastered versions - we were 'cgi spotting' in most of it, but it would be interesting to see the differences as I can't remember how the films were when I watched them 18 (crap. Was it really that long ago?) years ago. I do know that I had forgotten just how like Fozzy bear Yoda is! (yes, I know why)

We also had a great time with Zachary and the massive revelation in The Empire Strikes Back. He knew (from playing at school) that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker. He didn't seem to make any connection to Luke Skywalker. And then there was that bit in the second film where Darth is talking to the Emperor who tells him that Luke is Anakin Skywalker's son. Now usually that does not have much impact because as watchers we shouldn't yet know who Darth is, but as Zachary did, with a bit of handholding he got there - and the look of surprise was tremendous! Almost as much as when Luke loses his hand!!

So the boys have been playing lots of Star Wars games now (complete with Leigh's light sabre) - Zachary tends to be Luke (either with or without hand depending on what mood he's in!), Leo always wants to be 'a goodie with a gun' so he's Han Solo, (although his R2D2 noise is very good too!) and I end up being 100 Storm Troopers, Darth Vader and Darth Maul in rotation (for information - Darth Vader and Darth Maul both have 100 hit points so for any enemy I 'just' have to count down from 100 each time I'm hit!!!!)

Can't wait for Return of the Jedi now!

No comments: