Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sweeties

Aaargh! What has happened to Blogger?? New layout and look...I don't like it. I don't know where anything is now - being a good Methodist I don't like change!!

Anyway, the reason I'm blogging is that I've agreed to provide some sweets for a golfing event that my mother-in-law is running at her golf club in June - she's Lady Captain this year and this is for her Lady Captain's day. It appears that the ladies will golf 9 holes, then stop off with me and Leigh for drinks and nibbles before completing the course.

I've been looking through Leigh's sweet making books to try and narrow down a list of possibilities. I need sweets which can be produced in quantities of 80 easily and quickly and at not too high expense. They need to be things people can eat while also holding a drinks glass and managing a golf bag (the original idea was to package 2 or 3 sweets for each lady in a nice box but clearly that's not going to be practical if they're just stopping off in the middle of 18 holes!).

Also, I'm trying to make sweets which do NOT involve boiling sugar - no toffee, caramel, fudge etc etc. I really don't trust myself to be consistent, even if I do actually manage to get one batch right! One possibility I saw is coconut ice. There were a couple of variations on the recipe but I went with the one I found first in Life is Sweet.

It is basically 500g icing sugar mixed with 2 tins of condensed milk and 400g desiccated coconut and then refrigerate overnight. Yum. So...most of it made it into the tin...and having been in the fridge longer than suggested, it's still quite soft - not at all the consistency I expect for coconut ice. But it is totally yum. How can it not be with those ingredients! But sadly I think it's going to be too sticky for the occasion. I have another coconut recipe I might try, but I need to work through my other possibilities first - chocolate truffles next...


No comments: