Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pesto Chicken Stew with Dumplings

We had friends over for dinner tonight and I made Pesto Chicken Stew with Dumplings - a recipe I had come across in the April Good Food magazine (along with hot cross buns [bear with me...] and the lovely fruity simnel cake. Also a recipe for chocolate hazelnut torte - still to be tested!).

It needs 12-15 chicken thighs to serve 6-8 people so I went for 12, to feed the 4 of us this evening and then have (hopefully!) 1 or 2 dinners left over to go in the freezer. I managed to fit 8 thighs in my pan with all the stock and other liquid!!! Had a panic about an hour into the cooking when the liquid didn't look as though it was reducing at all and I still had peas, sundried tomatoes and pesto to fit in! Fortunately it did go down enough for me to mix that lot in although I don't think I was careful enough putting the casserole in the oven as I now need to clean spilled stew from the oven tomorrow! Still it tasted really good (I thought it might end up too pesto-y but it didn't) and there's another dinner in the freezer. Yum!

No comments: